Friday 1 June 2007

Camden Town, British Museum, Windsor Castle, Stonehenge and Bath

Ok, first things first: I have taken SO many photos this week - I've had to upload them to my other website. So if you want to see all my photos, go here: www.amanda.com.au/uk . Otherwise read on to see what's been happening...

Sunday 27th May
The weather had been "demotivating" me, so today I decided, I don’t care how crap the weather is – I’m going out and doing something. So I headed off to the Camden Town markets. Of course the Camden Town tube station was shut, so had to get a bus from Euston tube station. Again, had no idea where I was going, but a lot of people were going the same place as me, so jumped off with them. I’d forgotten how HUGE these markets were. They’re like a living breathing museum with all sorts of knickknacks, clothes galore, jewelry, tv stalls, food stalls – it really just goes on and on.. The whole place is practically markets – I could have spent all day there – there’s just so many alleyways and nooks and crannies crammed with more and more market stalls. I bought a couple of tops, a really cheap black corduroy jacket, postcards etc. Love it there, definitely going back again.

Garden party
Oh the previous Thursday, we had a few people around for dinner and drinks in our back garden. We put some picnic rugs and cushions on the grass, laid out some nibblies and drinks and everyone came over. We played this awesome board game called Articulate – it's like the reverse of Baulderdash - go buy it if you’ve never played it – it’s loads of fun and quick and easy to play. Anyway, cooked up a tonne of spaghetti and potato salad etc.. we all had more drinks. And then Steph and co all decided to go and dress up as Katy – so came back down wearing bright red lip stick and some very interesting outfits. The night ended when our flimsy outdoor table was knocked over and came crashing to the ground along with several glasses and empty bottles (we are never using this table ever again). Fun night though!

Monday 28th May
Today I went to the British museum. I saw the Egyptian, American and Mexican exhibitions. The weather was absolutely horrid. I stepped outside into a cyclonic freezer. My hands were like icebergs, I thought I was going to fly away with my umbrella – it was something like 5 degrees and the weather lady said this is the kind of weather they have in January (ie real British winter). Yikes. Anyway, the museum was packed as it was a public holiday. The place is massive. I think I need to go back and explore more of it by myself.

Tuesday 29th May
Today I got up super early and did a bus tour out to Windsor Castle, Stonehenge and Bath. After the dreadful weather yesterday, today the sun was out - there wasn't a cloud in the Simpson sky - was perfect weather. Anyway, Windsor Castle is huge – there is so much stuff inside there. It’s full of history and beautiful. I bought myself a pair of what I call “Royal Slippers” from a shop inside Windsor Castle – they’re white bath slippers with a gold crest embroidered on them – and they’re comfy and warm but I've already managed to spill red wine on them (but got the stain out right away).

Next we went onto Stonehenge. We spent an hour there. You really only need about half an hour max. For some reason I thought the stones would be bigger (but obviously they weren’t). It’s right next to a main road as well and there sheep in a field next to it – which kind of takes away from any mysteriousness that you might associate with it. So onto Bath.

Bath is where Jane Austin lived and where Pride and Prejudice and all those old timey movies were filmed. I was inlove with this town. Limestone everywhere. Cute little shops. Ahh. I would like to go back there for a weekend. We visited the famous Roman Baths there as well - which were really cool..

Other than that, I have been pottering around organizing myself for starting work next week and taking advantage of the fact that I can sleep in for a few more days yet. We needed some outdoor furniture, and the people down the road had moved out and all their stuff was out front – and low and behold – 3 plastic chairs and a deck chair later, we now have garden furniture. Found some real bargains in the Brixton Markets – bought 4 Espirit dinner plates and some knives and forks. And Katy showed me a few other shops I hadn’t been into yet, including some second hand and charity shops and I picked up THE best pair of jeans ever for 6 pounds 50 pence – total bargain. You can’t have enough jeans here.

For the rest of the week, I’m going to do some walking around in London itself and visit some more museums, galleries, cathedrals etc. I’m evening thinking of doing the London duck tour – which I thought might be a bit different to the normal touristy double decker bus thing. And I think I’m going back to Battersea Park again to see some live bands on Sunday. Anyway, I start work on Tuesday (hoorah!) – which is exactly 2 months to the day of my last day working at Emergency Services. Speak to you all soon! And make sure you check out all the photos at www.amanda.com.au/uk - Manda :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

See if you can hook up with someone with a car and go out to Stonehenge just on sunrise or sunset - you'll definitely get all the mysterious you want! It's brilliant!

Also, try going out there close to the Summer Solstice on June 21 when all the "Travellers" will be heading there - talk about life in the raw!!!